Friday, December 14, 2007

Why we need Ron Paul to clean house

Take money from the poor and middle class to subsidize the rich - that is what are government is all about - then pass the debt to our children. John Stossel writes about how the government subsidizes the insurance on all the expensive beach houses along our coasts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Insurance/story?id=94181

A few years ago, I got a call from a friend. 'Happy New Year,' he said, 'your house is gone.' And it was. During a fairly ordinary storm, the ocean just dug up the sand under the pilings and took the whole house away.

There it was the next day on the front page of the newspaper. I'd always wanted to make front page news, but not like this. It was an upsetting loss for me, but financially, I made out fine. National flood insurance paid for the house and its contents. I could rebuild my house, and the government would insure me again — and again. I didn't rebuild. I'd learned my lesson; I sold what was left of my land. But the outrage is that federal flood insurance exists at all. There is a quarter-million-dollar limit on each payment, and as long as I build my house in accordance with zoning laws and ordinances, there is no limit on how many times the government will pay if a house keeps washing away.

Give Me a Break.

From a recent interview with Dr. Paul by ABC he explains his views:

That means he often votes against laws that would give money to the very constituents that elect him.

Paul represents a district that lies on the Texas Gulf Coast. It's prone to hurricanes and flooding.

But that doesn't stop Paul from voting against big government programs like Federal Emergency Management Agency — the federal government agency that responds to natural disasters.

"I think FEMA helps create the flood problems," he says.

He explains that the federal government, by subsidizing insurance policies the cover houses built near the water, encourages people to move to flood-prone areas.

"If the government subsidizes the insurance," he says, "[then government is saying] if you build there, don't sweat it, we're going to bail you out. So all of a sudden, more people move into the flood-prone areas. And then who are the people that have to bail you out? Somebody that lives out in the desert some place. So, it's unfair, it's not good economics, you create more problems, more houses get flooded, and it becomes a general problem, rather than an individual problem."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home